US Soccer beats Italy for first time ever
GENOA, Italy (KABC) -- The United States Men's National Soccer Team beat the Azzurri, the Italian national team, for the first time in 11 games over 78 games Wednesday in Italy.
The game was a "friendly" exhibition match. Clint Dempsey scored the only goal of the match in the 55th minute.
Dempsey took a short pass from Jozy Altidore following Michael Bradley's cross and put a right-footed shot from just inside the penalty area just past an outstretched hand of goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon.
Although just an exhibition, it was a rare U.S. victory over a world power.
It was the 25th goal in 83 international appearances for Dempsey, a veteran of two World Cups and one of the players counted on to lead the Americans in qualifying for the 2014 tournament.
"Initially, I was going to stay where I was and have him lay it back to me," Dempsey said. "I saw the guy was covering. So I tried to move to my right to try get open so he could play me the ball. He did a great job of holding it up, playing me, and I just tried to hit it low and hard, far post, and it went in.
The U.S. was eliminated in the first round of the 2006 World Cup and in the second round in the 2010 Cup, beaten both times by Ghana.
The loss was particularly deflating for eighth-ranked Italy, a four-time World Cup champion preparing for the start of the European Championship in June. The No. 31 Americans, who are getting ready for their opening World Cup qualifier in June, had been 0-7-3 against Italy and had been outscored 32-4.
Italy dominated for stretches but the American defense held and the Azzurri were called for offsides nine times.
Italy lost in Genoa for the first time since 1924.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect found after escaping from police 5 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...
- Stress management tip - call your doctor
55 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
50 min ago