Calif. NAACP endorses legalizing marijuana
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The California chapter of the NAACP is endorsing Proposition 19, the ballot initiative that seeks to make marijuana possession legal in the state.
The state's chapter of the civil rights group said blacks are unfairly targeted for marijuana-related offenses.
"It is time for them to stop using my community to populate the prison system on such minor offenses as having a joint," said Alice Huffman, president of the California chapter of the NAACP.
Huffman said because of that inequity, her organization is supporting Prop. 19.
That declaration is not sitting well with leaders of the African American community. Some say it unfairly portrays blacks as heavy marijuana users.
"Marijuana is the drug of choice for every stoner in the valley," said Joe Hicks, vice president of Community Advocates, a civil rights think tank in Los Angeles.
He criticizes the California chapter of the NAACP for making poor decisions. This latest endorsement, Hicks said, sends the wrong message to the African American community.
"If you just did a random poll of black folks on the street and said, are these the things that you would like to see this organization address itself to, I don't think you would see the decriminalization of marijuana anywhere in the list of 100 things," Hicks said.
On the streets, there was little support for the NAACP's decision.
"I think they should leave it alone," said B.J. Hill. "It's not their problem."
Michael Murrel said that if the law passed, his children might be more influenced to use marijuana.
"I have two children. I wouldn't want them to be exposed to the marijuana or being exposed that they can easily have access to it," Murrell said.
The NAACP's endorsement of Prop. 19 doesn't necessarily guarantee it any votes.
While the NAACP stood against Prop. 8, the same sex marriage ban, African Americans voted overwhelmingly in favor of it.
marijuana, marijuana growing, marijuana clinic, medical marijuana, legal, california news, rob hayes
- Oklahoma tornado: Recovery effort under way
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls 6 min ago
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- Heart rate fitness tool helps burn calories
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 2013 Cannes fashion: celebs don white (Poll)
- AEG Live spent $24M on Michael Jackson tour
49 min ago
- Pet of the week: 2-month-old Chihuahua-mix
34 min ago