Millions participate in ShakeOut drill
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Millions of Southern California residents joined people around the state Thursday in the "Great California ShakeOut."
Almost 8 million Californians, including Eyewitness News reporter Sid Garcia, participated in the event.
The ShakeOut is an annual drill aimed at teaching people what to do in the event of an earthquake, while encouraging readiness for the big one.
Participants fell to the floor to practice the "drop, cover and hold" technique -- the recommended procedure in an earthquake.
"The concept of drop, cover, hold on is really simple. You drop down, protect your head, and no one is going to get hurt from that," said Chester Bosworth, a student at Providence High School.
People should quickly get under a sturdy table to avoid being hit by falling objects, or get on the ground next to an interior wall and cover their head and neck with their arms. People should also face away from windows and mirrors, and stay indoors instead of running out in panic.
After an earthquake, people are advised to remain calm; check for damage; learn in advance what to do about fire, leaking gas, electrical dangers and chemical spills; and brace for aftershocks.
A 2008 report estimated there is a 50 percent chance of a magnitude-7.8 or greater earthquake somewhere in California anytime in the next 30 years.
City News Service contributed to this report.
earthquake, california news, sid garcia
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour