Millions participate in ShakeOut drill
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Millions of Southern California residents joined people around the state Thursday in the "Great California ShakeOut."
Almost 8 million Californians, including Eyewitness News reporter Sid Garcia, participated in the event.
The ShakeOut is an annual drill aimed at teaching people what to do in the event of an earthquake, while encouraging readiness for the big one.
Participants fell to the floor to practice the "drop, cover and hold" technique -- the recommended procedure in an earthquake.
"The concept of drop, cover, hold on is really simple. You drop down, protect your head, and no one is going to get hurt from that," said Chester Bosworth, a student at Providence High School.
People should quickly get under a sturdy table to avoid being hit by falling objects, or get on the ground next to an interior wall and cover their head and neck with their arms. People should also face away from windows and mirrors, and stay indoors instead of running out in panic.
After an earthquake, people are advised to remain calm; check for damage; learn in advance what to do about fire, leaking gas, electrical dangers and chemical spills; and brace for aftershocks.
A 2008 report estimated there is a 50 percent chance of a magnitude-7.8 or greater earthquake somewhere in California anytime in the next 30 years.
City News Service contributed to this report.
earthquake, california news, sid garcia
- Crews search for survivors of Okla. tornado 59 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 34 min ago
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- LA voters to decide future of marijuana shops 13 min ago
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula 4 min ago
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing 10 min ago
- Former IRS chief knew little about targeting
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- Heart rate fitness tool helps burn calories
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
53 min ago