600-yard drug tunnel discovered in S.D.
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Authorities have discovered an elaborate, 600-yard drug-smuggling tunnel linking Tijuana and Otay Mesa in San Diego County.
Officials also found more than 20 tons of marijuana in a building accessible by the tunnel.
The tunnel was not large enough to allow a person to stand up, but it was equipped with electricity, ventilation and even a rail system used to move marijuana into the U.S. in carts.
Federal agents made the drug bust after a month-long investigation working with Mexican authorities.
In all, officials on both sides of the border confiscated more than $20 million worth of marijuana.
"It is a very significant discovery because of the amount of narcotics that were seized," said John Morton, director of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Agents spent hours staking out the area surrounding the tunnel last night, then took down the driver of a big rig and his wife after they left a warehouse near the tunnel.
The truck was carrying about 10 tons of marijuana.
With a search warrant in hand, agents were led from the warehouse to the opening of the tunnel, which ran the length of six football fields.
"We have disrupted a major tunnel, a major drug trafficking organization," Morton said. "This wasn't, at 30 tons, a mom and pop organization. This is obviously the work of the cartels."
Officials have found 125 cross-border tunnels built by Mexican drug cartels since the early 1990s. The majority were found along the California-Arizona border with Mexico.
drug war, marijuana, california news, leo stallworth
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 17 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
4 min ago