SoCal theme parks experiencing Holiday boom
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- Sellout crowds have packed popular theme parks around Southern California thanks to a holiday boom.
Universal Studios said this holiday season is busier than a year ago, while Disneyland reports that it's a popular time for people to visit.
Neither resort gives out attendance numbers, but Disneyland analyst and author David Koenig said this week could be one for the record books.
"They'll have over 60,000 people today at Disneyland, probably over 25,000 at California Adventure at any one time," he said. "As people leave and come, this week could be close to 100,000 people on property in one day -- a record for Disneyland."
The Happiest Place on Earth sold out Tuesday.
The rebounding economy may be to thank. Some families said they are able to afford a Disney vacation this year.
The Healy's from Salt Lake City are back at Disneyland after a two-year absence.
"We saved up throughout the first of the year, we bought our package in advance, bought our plane tickets in advance and the past two paychecks we put away for this," Shawn Healy said.
Families are also spending the day at Knott's Berry Farm.
In a statement, the park said, "On the days that it did not rain this week, Monday, Tuesday and today, we have seen some of the highest attendance numbers in years for the holiday time period. We anticipate that the weekend will be the same."
Disney is the parent company of ABC7.
amusement park, disney theme park, holiday, christmas, new year's eve, california news, melissa macbride
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour