Navy training off San Diego Co. coast linked to dolphin deaths
SAN DIEGO (KABC) -- Navy training off the coast of San Diego County is being linked to the deaths of at least three dolphins in March.
Three of the deaths came after a blast during Navy exercises. The National Marine Fisheries Service says the Navy may also be responsible for two other dolphin deaths.
The agency is going to take another look at the Navy's pending request to disturb marine mammals.
The Navy conducts amphibious and special warfare training between Imperial Beach and Coronado.
The Navy's application has been in the works for years and says it does not anticipate any dolphin deaths due to training, but the fisheries service has opened an enforcement case that will seek to determine whether the Navy has violated the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972, a landmark law designed by Congress to safeguard dolphins, whales and similar creatures.
Environmentalists have called on the Navy to suspend activities involved in the deaths and conduct a transparent investigation.
But Navy officials said the program it calls "mission-critical" would continue. They said they were following proper procedures on the day of the blast and are conducting their own investigation to see if changes are necessary.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
san diego, department of defense, animal news, california news
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car 1 min ago
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead 9 min ago
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis