Prop 8 backers appeal based on judge's sexual orientation
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- Backers of Proposition 8, California's ban on same-sex marriage, have filed a motion seeking to overturn a federal judge's ruling.
The now-retired Judge Vaughn Walker recently revealed that he was in a long-term relationship with another man. Last summer, he ruled that Prop 8 was unconstitutional.
Supporters of Prop 8 said Walker should have recused himself from the case because his impartiality on the issue could be questioned.
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is looking into Walker's ruling at the request of Prop 8 backers.
prop 8, legal, california news
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 15 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 7 min ago
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC 22 min ago
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis