Prop 8 backers appeal based on judge's sexual orientation
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- Backers of Proposition 8, California's ban on same-sex marriage, have filed a motion seeking to overturn a federal judge's ruling.
The now-retired Judge Vaughn Walker recently revealed that he was in a long-term relationship with another man. Last summer, he ruled that Prop 8 was unconstitutional.
Supporters of Prop 8 said Walker should have recused himself from the case because his impartiality on the issue could be questioned.
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is looking into Walker's ruling at the request of Prop 8 backers.
prop 8, legal, california news
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- Woman tries to reason with London attackers
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Emails show AEG exec called Jackson a 'freak'
- 'Hangover' films changed lives of the stars
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised