Prop 8 backers appeal based on judge's sexual orientation
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- Backers of Proposition 8, California's ban on same-sex marriage, have filed a motion seeking to overturn a federal judge's ruling.
The now-retired Judge Vaughn Walker recently revealed that he was in a long-term relationship with another man. Last summer, he ruled that Prop 8 was unconstitutional.
Supporters of Prop 8 said Walker should have recused himself from the case because his impartiality on the issue could be questioned.
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is looking into Walker's ruling at the request of Prop 8 backers.
prop 8, legal, california news
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 29 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous' 23 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 7 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood 20 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Kettlebells can help burn calories fast
8 min ago