Arnold Schwarzenegger, Maria Shriver announce separation after 25 years
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver announced Monday night they are separating.
"This has been a time of great personal and professional transition for each of us," they said in a joint statement. "After a great deal of thought, reflection, discussion, and prayer, we came to this decision together. At this time, we are living apart, while we work on the future of our relationship.
"We are continuing to parent our four children together. They are the light and the center of both of our lives. We consider this a private matter, and neither we nor any of our friends or family will have further comment. We ask for compassion and respect from the media and the public."
From the beginning, they were an unlikely pair- the Republican movie star and the daughter of iconic Democrats.
Schwarzenegger, former governor of California, and Shriver, an author and former TV reporter, have been married for 25 years. They have four children and had been living at a private estate in Brentwood, Calif.
Schwarzenegger finished his seven-year run as governor in January.
arnold schwarzenegger, california news, robert holguin
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 40 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Bejo's 'Past' character sometimes unlikeable
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)