Arnold Schwarzenegger speaks out for first time since separation from Maria Shriver
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Arnold Schwarzenegger spoke out publicly for the first time since announcing that he and his wife Maria Shriver are separated.
The former California governor was honored Tuesday night at the Skirball Cultural Center for his work supporting the state of Israel. But first, Schwarzenegger thanked the public for the support he and Shriver have received.
"Before I start tonight, I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge and to thank the many friends and family for the tremendous amount of support and love and prayer that we've gotten over the last 24 hours," said Schwarzenegger.
In what were his first public remarks since Monday's announcement, Schwarzenegger made clear that he and his wife of 25 years are still on good terms.
"I just talked to Maria an hour ago before I came here, and we both were saying the same thing. We're amazed and we're extremely blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful people and so many wonderful friends," Schwarzenegger said. "We both love each other very much. We are very fortunate to have four extraordinary children, and we are taking one day at a time."
Schwarzenegger was scheduled to take part in a photo op prior to the event, but he was a no show even though reporters had been instructed by the Israeli consulate not to ask him any questions.
Other dignitaries at the event, which celebrated Israel's 63rd anniversary of independence, spoke in support of the former governor.
"They're wonderful people," said former California Gov. Gray Davis. "You know, sometimes these things don't work out and God knows for reasons we don't know. So I wish them all the best."
arnold schwarzenegger, california news, robert holguin
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 31 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside 22 min ago
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Obama to preserve California federal lands 18 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video