2 inmates stabbed during massive California prison riot
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- Approximately 150 inmates were involved in a large-scale riot involving weapons at California State Prison-Sacramento Friday morning.
The riot took place in an outdoor recreation yard at 10 a.m. Two inmates were stabbed multiple times during the incident and were taken to an outside hospital. The majority of the inmates involved sustained minor injuries.
Prison staff fired a warning shot and used pepper spray to quell the incident. No guards or other staff members were hurt during the riot.
The condition and identity of the two inmates stabbed is unknown. The number of injured inmates and their medical conditions is also unknown.
The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said the fight involved inmates from several different racial groups, but it is not clear why it started.
California State Prison-Sacramento houses approximately 3,000 inmates and has a staff of over 1,700 people. The institution is next door to Folsom State Prison, and primarily houses maximum-security inmates serving long sentences.
The Associated Press contributed to this story
riot, california news
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale 2 min ago
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Damaged trains being removed from Conn. site 20 min ago
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- OTRC: Kelly Rowland in talks to be 'X Factor' judge
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
42 min ago