2 inmates stabbed during massive California prison riot
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- Approximately 150 inmates were involved in a large-scale riot involving weapons at California State Prison-Sacramento Friday morning.
The riot took place in an outdoor recreation yard at 10 a.m. Two inmates were stabbed multiple times during the incident and were taken to an outside hospital. The majority of the inmates involved sustained minor injuries.
Prison staff fired a warning shot and used pepper spray to quell the incident. No guards or other staff members were hurt during the riot.
The condition and identity of the two inmates stabbed is unknown. The number of injured inmates and their medical conditions is also unknown.
The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said the fight involved inmates from several different racial groups, but it is not clear why it started.
California State Prison-Sacramento houses approximately 3,000 inmates and has a staff of over 1,700 people. The institution is next door to Folsom State Prison, and primarily houses maximum-security inmates serving long sentences.
The Associated Press contributed to this story
riot, california news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster
- 15-yr-old arrested after assaulting IE senior
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Telescope detects Earth-like planet
3 min ago