2 inmates stabbed during massive California prison riot
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- Approximately 150 inmates were involved in a large-scale riot involving weapons at California State Prison-Sacramento Friday morning.
The riot took place in an outdoor recreation yard at 10 a.m. Two inmates were stabbed multiple times during the incident and were taken to an outside hospital. The majority of the inmates involved sustained minor injuries.
Prison staff fired a warning shot and used pepper spray to quell the incident. No guards or other staff members were hurt during the riot.
The condition and identity of the two inmates stabbed is unknown. The number of injured inmates and their medical conditions is also unknown.
The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said the fight involved inmates from several different racial groups, but it is not clear why it started.
California State Prison-Sacramento houses approximately 3,000 inmates and has a staff of over 1,700 people. The institution is next door to Folsom State Prison, and primarily houses maximum-security inmates serving long sentences.
The Associated Press contributed to this story
riot, california news
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 28 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train 45 min ago
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 4 min ago
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion 11 min ago
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
38 min ago