2 inmates stabbed during massive California prison riot
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- Approximately 150 inmates were involved in a large-scale riot involving weapons at California State Prison-Sacramento Friday morning.
The riot took place in an outdoor recreation yard at 10 a.m. Two inmates were stabbed multiple times during the incident and were taken to an outside hospital. The majority of the inmates involved sustained minor injuries.
Prison staff fired a warning shot and used pepper spray to quell the incident. No guards or other staff members were hurt during the riot.
The condition and identity of the two inmates stabbed is unknown. The number of injured inmates and their medical conditions is also unknown.
The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said the fight involved inmates from several different racial groups, but it is not clear why it started.
California State Prison-Sacramento houses approximately 3,000 inmates and has a staff of over 1,700 people. The institution is next door to Folsom State Prison, and primarily houses maximum-security inmates serving long sentences.
The Associated Press contributed to this story
riot, california news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 22 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32 1 min ago
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)