Bryan Stow's condition upgraded to serious
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- Bryan Stow, the San Francisco Giants fan who was severely beaten outside Dodger Stadium, is continuing to improve. Doctors have upgraded his condition from critical to serious.
Stow had been in critical condition since the March 31 attack in the stadium parking lot after the season opener between the Giants and Dodgers.
Doctors said Stow is now breathing without a ventilator and has been able to intermittently follow some basic commands. They say he's also been weaned off two of five anti-seizure medications used to address brain swelling and that they're lowering the doses of his remaining medications.
"We are encouraged by Bryan's progress and heartened that he has improved, not deteriorated," said Dr. Geoff Manley, chief of neurology at S.F. General Hospital.
Stow's family released a statement Wednesday thanking everyone for their concerns, prayers and support.
The 42-year-old Santa Cruz paramedic was moved last month from Los Angeles to San Francisco General Hospital.
In the meantime, no suspects have been charged in the attack. LAPD's prime suspect, Giovanni Ramirez, was ordered to spend 10 months in prison for a parole violation of access to a weapon by a felon.
Ramirez has not been charged in the beating. Investigators have not produced sufficient evidence to charge him. Ramirez contends he was nowhere near Dodger Stadium at the time of the attack.
Anyone with information regarding the attack on Stow is urged to contact the following:
- During non-business hours or on weekends, calls should be directed to 1-877-LAPD-24-7.
- Anyone wishing to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (800-222-8477). Tipsters may also contact Crime Stoppers by texting to phone number 274637 (C-R-I-M-E-S on most keypads) with a cell phone. All text messages should begin with the letters "LAPD."
- Tipsters may also go to LAPDOnline.org, click on "webtips" and follow the prompts.
- You can also send email directly to BryanStowAttemptMurder@gmail.com.
los angeles dodgers, san francisco giants, arrest, california news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 1 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Calif. bill would ban orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere