Bryan Stow's condition upgraded to serious
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- Bryan Stow, the San Francisco Giants fan who was severely beaten outside Dodger Stadium, is continuing to improve. Doctors have upgraded his condition from critical to serious.
Stow had been in critical condition since the March 31 attack in the stadium parking lot after the season opener between the Giants and Dodgers.
Doctors said Stow is now breathing without a ventilator and has been able to intermittently follow some basic commands. They say he's also been weaned off two of five anti-seizure medications used to address brain swelling and that they're lowering the doses of his remaining medications.
"We are encouraged by Bryan's progress and heartened that he has improved, not deteriorated," said Dr. Geoff Manley, chief of neurology at S.F. General Hospital.
Stow's family released a statement Wednesday thanking everyone for their concerns, prayers and support.
The 42-year-old Santa Cruz paramedic was moved last month from Los Angeles to San Francisco General Hospital.
In the meantime, no suspects have been charged in the attack. LAPD's prime suspect, Giovanni Ramirez, was ordered to spend 10 months in prison for a parole violation of access to a weapon by a felon.
Ramirez has not been charged in the beating. Investigators have not produced sufficient evidence to charge him. Ramirez contends he was nowhere near Dodger Stadium at the time of the attack.
Anyone with information regarding the attack on Stow is urged to contact the following:
- During non-business hours or on weekends, calls should be directed to 1-877-LAPD-24-7.
- Anyone wishing to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (800-222-8477). Tipsters may also contact Crime Stoppers by texting to phone number 274637 (C-R-I-M-E-S on most keypads) with a cell phone. All text messages should begin with the letters "LAPD."
- Tipsters may also go to LAPDOnline.org, click on "webtips" and follow the prompts.
- You can also send email directly to BryanStowAttemptMurder@gmail.com.
los angeles dodgers, san francisco giants, arrest, california news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58 10 min ago
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter 24 min ago
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case 4 min ago
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store 5 min ago
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members 26 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 16 min ago
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour