Stanford Hospital privacy breach puts data online
PALO ALTO, Calif. (KABC) -- Stanford Hospital confirmed it was the victim of a privacy breach, blaming a subcontractor used by an outside vendor.
According to the New York Times, medical information for 20, 000 emergency room patients was posted online.
The paper says the data remained on a commercial website for almost a year until the Palo Alto hospital finally discovered the breach last month and took it down.
A hospital spokesperson says the data did not include information that could be used to perpetrate identity theft. It did not contain credit card or Social Security numbers.
In a statement, Stanford Hospital said the file that contained the patient information and was posted to the site was created by a subcontractor employed by one of its vendors, Multi Specialties Collection Services.
The hospital did not name the subcontractor, but it said Multi Specialties Collection Services is investigating how the company caused patient information to be posted to the website.
In the meantime, Stanford said it has suspended working with Multi Specialties Collection Services.
The affected patients were seen by the hospital's emergency department between March 1, 2009, and Aug. 31, 2009. The hospital said all affect patients were notified.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
technology, health care, northern california, california news
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens 49 min ago
- Fewer travelers expected Memorial Day weekend
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; 3 injured
- Disneyland holding Monstrous 'All-Nighter' 5 min ago
- LA gang activity coordinated from Kansas home 37 min ago
- LB regulates loud mufflers w/ electronic sign
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Katherine Jackson cries, leaves courtroom
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'