Coronado millionaire wants review of girlfriend's death
CORONADO, Calif. (KABC) -- The San Diego millionaire who lost his son and girlfriend within a few days of each other is asking for help from the state attorney general.
Jonah Shacknai sent a letter asking that the state look into the investigation of the deaths.
Two months ago, 6-year-old Max was killed in a fall down the stairs while under the care of Shacknai's girlfriend Rebecca Zahau. Police ruled it an accident.
A few days later, Zahau was found hanged to death at the mansion. The 32-year-old was found naked with her wrists and ankles tied from a balcony.
Police ruled Zahau's death a suicide, but her family says she would never have killed herself.
In the letter, Shacknai wrote that he had no reason to doubt findings by authorities, however acknowledged in his letter that the circumstances were "undeniably strange." He hoped that the review would give "confidence, comfort and resolution," to those who question Zahau's death.
"At the same time I believe the only way to achieve some dignified resolution for everyone who has been touched by the horrible events of this summer will be through the efforts of your office," Shacknai wrote California Attorney General Kamala Harris on Monday.
Jonah Shacknai is founder and chief executive of Medicis Pharmaceuticals Corp. and owner of the 27-room waterfront mansion. Zahau was his girlfriend of two years. Max was his son from a marriage that ended in divorce.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
san diego, abc, california news
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal 18 min ago
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill