As unemployment rises, part-time workforce grows
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- With unemployment in California soaring, many people are looking for full-time work and are not finding it, so they're settling for the next best thing: a part time job.
New numbers show more than 300,000 Californians who are searching for full-time jobs are settling for part-time jobs. These are known as involuntary part-time workers.
John Blank of the Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation said it's been a trend for several years now.
"Their businesses are coming to them and saying, 'We don't have enough work for you, we'd like you to stay,'" Blank said. "You have a lot of uncertainty right now with the outlook."
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of Americans working part time either because their hours were cut or because they can't find full-time jobs went from 8.4 million in July, to 8.8 million in August, to 9.3 million last month.
People looking for work at the Verdugo Jobs Center in Glendale say whether full time or part time, it's hard to get any job.
After several years of unemployment, Vince Zasonski said he's willing to take any job right now. He can't find full-time employment anywhere.
"I've had a couple temporary jobs that lasted like three months, one that lasted a couple of weeks, but nothing substantial," the El Segundo resident said.
The number of part-time jobs will probably increase as we get closer to the holidays and stores need seasonal help.
economy, jobs, unemployment, california news, carlos granda
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)