Man fatally shot outside Occupy Oakland camp
OAKLAND, Calif. (KABC) -- There still were no arrests Friday in the shooting death of a man outside the Occupy Oakland encampment.
The shooting happened Thursday evening on the edge of the plaza outside Oakland's City Hall.
A preliminary investigation suggests the incident happened during a fight between two groups of men at or near the camp.
It's not clear yet whether those involved were part of the demonstration, but there were reports that some protest participants tried to break up the fight.
The incident adds even more strain to relations between officials and anti-Wall Street protesters.
Camp organizers said the shooting was not related to their activities, but city and business leaders said the murder is proof that the camp breeds crime and has drained law enforcement resources.
No suspects have been identified. People participating in the protest who may have taken photographs or video that captured the shooting were asked to contact authorities.
Meantime, officials also are investigating an apparent suicide of a military veteran at an Occupy encampment in Burlington, Vt. Police said preliminary investigations show that the 35-year-old fatally shot himself in the head Thursday.
protest, wall street, california news
- Echo Park apartment fire kills 2, injures 2
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days 6 min ago
- Mandela interpreter cites hallucinations
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- Arleta deadly road rage suspect identified
- Car slams into Ventura house; driver arrested
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- Woman in newlywed murder agrees to plea deal 24 min ago
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- Wal-Mart ban stemmed from alleged threat
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage
- Bale talks 'Hustle,' 'Out of the Furnace'
- OTRC: Lea Michele talks about Cory Monteith (Video) 56 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
33 min ago