Drug tunnel bust nets 14 tons of pot at Otay Mesa border crossing
SAN DIEGO (KABC) -- A drug tunnel was discovered and raided Tuesday, resulting in the seizure of approximately 14 tons of marijuana on both sides of the U.S.-Mexico border.
Tuesday afternoon, a small cargo truck leaving the warehouse was pulled over by California Highway Patrol officers. Inside the truck, officers found approximately 3 tons of marijuana packed in boxes, according to DHS.
A federal search warrant was subsequently procured for the warehouse, located at 8851 Kearns St. In the warehouse, Tunnel Task Force agents found approximately 6.5 tons of marijuana, and discovered the tunnel.
The tunnel, dug into the warehouse floor, is approximately 4 feet by 3 feet wide, with structural supports, ventilation and electricity. Authorities believe it was recently completed.
Mexican authorities were notified. A warehouse in Tijuana about 400 yards away was raided, and authorities recovered 5 to 6 tons of marijuana, according to DHS.
The Otay Mesa warehouse was under continuing investigation Wednesday.
The Tunnel Task Force is composed of agents and personnel from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Homeland Security Investigations, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Drug Enforcement Administration, and the Calif. Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement.
Tuesday's discovery marks the sixth large-scale drug smuggling tunnel in San Diego since 2006, the third within the past year, according to Homeland Security.
drug war, marijuana, u.s.-mexico border, san diego, california news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Malaysia not sure which way jet was headed 55 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book