Drug tunnel bust nets 14 tons of pot at Otay Mesa border crossing
SAN DIEGO (KABC) -- A drug tunnel was discovered and raided Tuesday, resulting in the seizure of approximately 14 tons of marijuana on both sides of the U.S.-Mexico border.
Tuesday afternoon, a small cargo truck leaving the warehouse was pulled over by California Highway Patrol officers. Inside the truck, officers found approximately 3 tons of marijuana packed in boxes, according to DHS.
A federal search warrant was subsequently procured for the warehouse, located at 8851 Kearns St. In the warehouse, Tunnel Task Force agents found approximately 6.5 tons of marijuana, and discovered the tunnel.
The tunnel, dug into the warehouse floor, is approximately 4 feet by 3 feet wide, with structural supports, ventilation and electricity. Authorities believe it was recently completed.
Mexican authorities were notified. A warehouse in Tijuana about 400 yards away was raided, and authorities recovered 5 to 6 tons of marijuana, according to DHS.
The Otay Mesa warehouse was under continuing investigation Wednesday.
The Tunnel Task Force is composed of agents and personnel from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Homeland Security Investigations, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Drug Enforcement Administration, and the Calif. Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement.
Tuesday's discovery marks the sixth large-scale drug smuggling tunnel in San Diego since 2006, the third within the past year, according to Homeland Security.
drug war, marijuana, u.s.-mexico border, san diego, california news
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting 17 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 46 min ago
- Jefferson Park area stabbing suspect sought
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow 4 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'