Outcry after cops pepper-spray Davis students
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- As video spread of an officer in riot gear blasting pepper spray into the faces of seated protesters at University of California, Davis, public outrage arose quickly.
The outcry was followed almost as quickly by defense from police and calls for the chancellor's resignation.
UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi said she is not resigning. However, she did call the video images "chilling" and said she was forming a task force to investigate the police action. Two UC Davis police officers involved in the incident have been placed on administrative leave.
A law enforcement official who watched the clip called the use of force "fairly standard police procedure."
The video shows an officer dispassionately pepper-spraying a line of several sitting protesters who flinch and cover their faces but remain passive with their arms interlocked as onlookers scream out for the officer to stop.
The protest was held in support of the overall Occupy Wall Street movement and in solidarity with protesters at the University of California, Berkeley who were jabbed by police with batons on Nov. 9.
As the footage circulated widely on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter on Saturday, the university's faculty association called on Katehi to resign, saying in a letter there had been a "gross failure of leadership."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
wall street, protest, caught on tape, california news
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images 22 min ago
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 4 26 min ago
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Mom of wandering boys was supervised by CPS
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot 7 min ago
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- FBI hunting Hawaii for top terror suspect 59 min ago
- New Jersey teen who sued parents returns home
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons