Outcry after cops pepper-spray Davis students
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- As video spread of an officer in riot gear blasting pepper spray into the faces of seated protesters at University of California, Davis, public outrage arose quickly.
The outcry was followed almost as quickly by defense from police and calls for the chancellor's resignation.
UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi said she is not resigning. However, she did call the video images "chilling" and said she was forming a task force to investigate the police action. Two UC Davis police officers involved in the incident have been placed on administrative leave.
A law enforcement official who watched the clip called the use of force "fairly standard police procedure."
The video shows an officer dispassionately pepper-spraying a line of several sitting protesters who flinch and cover their faces but remain passive with their arms interlocked as onlookers scream out for the officer to stop.
The protest was held in support of the overall Occupy Wall Street movement and in solidarity with protesters at the University of California, Berkeley who were jabbed by police with batons on Nov. 9.
As the footage circulated widely on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter on Saturday, the university's faculty association called on Katehi to resign, saying in a letter there had been a "gross failure of leadership."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
wall street, protest, caught on tape, california news
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax
- South Korea ferry sinks; 2 dead, 14 injured
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments