New same-sex marriage initiative planned for California ballot
Another attempt to allow same-sex marriages in California: The court battle over Proposition 8 could take several more years.
Backers of a new initiative don't want to wait. They are hoping to place the issue before the voters again next November.
They will need several hundred thousand signatures to qualify for the ballot.
"This effort is going back to those same voters and saying, 'Look, marriage equality is important, we think it's important you have another vote on it, please support marriage equality,'" said Mario Guerrero, Love Honor Cherish.
The initiative would redefine marriage as a union between two persons, regardless of sex, gender or sexual orientation.
same-sex marriage, prop 8, california news
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified 23 min ago
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Judge strikes down Utah's same-sex marriage ban 42 min ago
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Casey Kasem conservatorship deal reached 51 min ago
- 9-yr-old FL girl is youngest to bowl 300 game 4 min ago
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future