New same-sex marriage initiative planned for California ballot
Another attempt to allow same-sex marriages in California: The court battle over Proposition 8 could take several more years.
Backers of a new initiative don't want to wait. They are hoping to place the issue before the voters again next November.
They will need several hundred thousand signatures to qualify for the ballot.
"This effort is going back to those same voters and saying, 'Look, marriage equality is important, we think it's important you have another vote on it, please support marriage equality,'" said Mario Guerrero, Love Honor Cherish.
The initiative would redefine marriage as a union between two persons, regardless of sex, gender or sexual orientation.
same-sex marriage, prop 8, california news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 29 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 45 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway 25 min ago
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters 40 min ago
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2