New same-sex marriage initiative planned for California ballot
Another attempt to allow same-sex marriages in California: The court battle over Proposition 8 could take several more years.
Backers of a new initiative don't want to wait. They are hoping to place the issue before the voters again next November.
They will need several hundred thousand signatures to qualify for the ballot.
"This effort is going back to those same voters and saying, 'Look, marriage equality is important, we think it's important you have another vote on it, please support marriage equality,'" said Mario Guerrero, Love Honor Cherish.
The initiative would redefine marriage as a union between two persons, regardless of sex, gender or sexual orientation.
same-sex marriage, prop 8, california news
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries 59 min ago
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar 43 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 4 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break