New same-sex marriage initiative planned for California ballot
Another attempt to allow same-sex marriages in California: The court battle over Proposition 8 could take several more years.
Backers of a new initiative don't want to wait. They are hoping to place the issue before the voters again next November.
They will need several hundred thousand signatures to qualify for the ballot.
"This effort is going back to those same voters and saying, 'Look, marriage equality is important, we think it's important you have another vote on it, please support marriage equality,'" said Mario Guerrero, Love Honor Cherish.
The initiative would redefine marriage as a union between two persons, regardless of sex, gender or sexual orientation.
same-sex marriage, prop 8, california news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing 59 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Calif. bill would ban orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere