Family awarded Marine jet crash settlement
SAN DIEGO (KABC) -- Millions of dollars in compensation were awarded to a family that lost four of its loved ones in a military jet crash.
It was on December 8, 2008, when a Marine Corps fighter plane plunged into a San Diego home. The pilot bailed out safely.
The crash was blamed on mechanical trouble and poor decisions by the pilot and ground personnel.
Don Yoon lost his 36-year-old wife, his two infant daughters and his mother-in-law.
Yoon and other surviving family members were awarded $17.8 million by a federal judge. The family had asked for $56 million.
Yoon said in a statement that Miller's ruling was "thoughtful, reasoned and just." Yoon broke down crying throughout his testimony, which came three years to the day when he buried his wife and baby girls in the same casket. He told the judge he only looks forward to the day when he can join them.
"Our family is relieved this part of the process is over, but no sum of money will ever make up for the loss of our loved ones," he said.
The Marine Corps has said the plane suffered a mechanical failure but a series of bad decisions led the pilot - a student - to bypass a potentially safe landing at a coastal Navy base after his engine failed on Dec. 8, 2008. The pilot ejected and told investigators he screamed in horror as he watched the jet plow into the neighborhood, incinerating two homes.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries 41 min ago
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 15 min ago
- Metro to vote on fate of ExpressLanes pilot
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged 27 min ago
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed
- Dana Point woman fights to keep chickens
33 min ago