SD inmate who stole fire engine arrested
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (KABC) -- A convicted car thief who escaped from a San Diego County prison with a stolen fire engine was caught near San Diego.
Thomas Kelley, 51, escaped from Donovan State Prison on New Year's Day after allegedly stealing a fire engine. He worked as a prison firefighter.
The fire truck was found abandoned about 10 miles away from the prison.
Kelley was spotted by sheriff's deputies at a trolley station in the 1700 block of San Altos Place in Lemon Grove.
He was arrested without incident.
Kelley was serving time for a parole violation and was due to be released in 2013.
City News Service contributed to this report.
san diego, california news
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- LA sheriffs rescue stranded family of seven 15 min ago
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- NorCal beach parking fee fight gets heated
- Obama addresses Morehouse College graduates
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list