CA investigating Lap-Band weight-loss surgery
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- California insurance regulators are investigating Lap-Band surgery centers for possible fraud.
The state Department of Insurance is investigating alleged fraud against Aetna health plan members by the 1-800-GET-THIN Lap-Band surgery centers.
The Food and Drug Administration and the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors are already investigating eight Southern California surgery centers over allegations they used misleading ads to promote the weight-loss surgery.
A Pasadena-based marketing firm is also under investigation.
An attorney representing the surgery centers says he has not been formally notified of any insurance investigation.
He added that no evidence of wrongdoing has ever been found at the facilities.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
health, fda, california news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95 9 min ago
- IE domestic violence murder suspect at large 42 min ago
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk 34 min ago
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike 15 min ago
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct
- UCSB meningitis: Fund for amputee student
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Bynes leaves inpatient treatment, says lawyer
- Banksy 'Flower Girl' could fetch up to $300K
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate