CA investigating Lap-Band weight-loss surgery
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- California insurance regulators are investigating Lap-Band surgery centers for possible fraud.
The state Department of Insurance is investigating alleged fraud against Aetna health plan members by the 1-800-GET-THIN Lap-Band surgery centers.
The Food and Drug Administration and the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors are already investigating eight Southern California surgery centers over allegations they used misleading ads to promote the weight-loss surgery.
A Pasadena-based marketing firm is also under investigation.
An attorney representing the surgery centers says he has not been formally notified of any insurance investigation.
He added that no evidence of wrongdoing has ever been found at the facilities.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
health, fda, california news
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 57 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal 25 min ago
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour