CA investigating Lap-Band weight-loss surgery
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- California insurance regulators are investigating Lap-Band surgery centers for possible fraud.
The state Department of Insurance is investigating alleged fraud against Aetna health plan members by the 1-800-GET-THIN Lap-Band surgery centers.
The Food and Drug Administration and the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors are already investigating eight Southern California surgery centers over allegations they used misleading ads to promote the weight-loss surgery.
A Pasadena-based marketing firm is also under investigation.
An attorney representing the surgery centers says he has not been formally notified of any insurance investigation.
He added that no evidence of wrongdoing has ever been found at the facilities.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
health, fda, california news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise 22 min ago
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP 39 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 3 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer 1 min ago
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book