Pink slips sent to more than 20,000 teachers
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Nearly 20,000 preliminary layoff notices have been sent to California teachers. School districts had until Thursday to send them out.
State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson says the notices reflect the financial emergency facing schools.
Los Angeles Unified, Long Beach Unified, and San Bernardino City Unified are among the districts issuing the most layoff notices. LAUSD sent out 11,700 layoff notices, according to Superintendent John Deasy.
Many of the notices are usually rescinded by June 30 as the revenue estimates become firmer. Last year, LAUSD rescinded 3,400 of the 7,300 notices it sent out.
But this year, districts in their fourth consecutive year of state funding cuts face an even rockier budget scenario.
Unions say the notices are bad for morale, accusing the school districts of using a scare tactic to prod employees into giving concessions such as furloughs and pay cuts. United Teachers Los Angeles and LAUSD are currently in arbitration over furloughs that would save the district $60 million.
Also, billions of dollars in education funding depend on three initiatives proposed for the November ballot. They would raise sales taxes, income taxes or possibly both.
Unfortunately for teachers, California voters have a history of rejecting tax increases. Some districts are considering a parcel tax, which would need the approval of two-thirds of voters. LAUSD's last parcel tax measure in 2010 was defeated.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
budget, school, lausd, california news
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony 54 min ago
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre 45 min ago