Injured yacht racers arrive in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- Two sailors hurt during an around-the-world race were expected to arrive in San Francisco Monday afternoon.
The Geraldton Western Australia was hit by a massive wave on Saturday about 400 miles off the coast of California. Jane Hitchens, 50, reportedly may have broken ribs and Nik Brbora, 29, may have a sprained pelvis. Two other crew members had less serious injuries, and decided to stay on the yacht.
It took the U.S. Coast Guard two days to get to the injured sailors because of the rough seas around them.
The Geraldton is now heading for Oakland, where most of the other racers have already arrived for a few days' rest.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
coast guard, san francisco, california news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Calif. bill would ban orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will 24 min ago
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere
- 'Ransomware' holds encrypted data for money
32 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
7 min ago