Oakland shooting suspect, One Goh, was upset about tuition refund, administrator says
OAKLAND, Calif. (KABC) -- An administrator at a Korean Christian university in Oakland said the gunman who went on a deadly shooting rampage was upset about not getting all his tuition money back.
Ellen Cervellon, director of the nursing program at Oikos University, said One Goh, 43, dropped out of the school a few months ago, but he had returned several times asking for a tuition refund.
Authorities said Goh burst through the back entrance of a lecture hall on Monday and held a terrified school receptionist hostage. Within moments, he started randomly firing at students, killing seven people and wounding three.
Cervellon said she believes she was the alleged gunman's primary target after she rejected his repeated requests for a full tuition refund. Police have said Goh was seeking a female administrator when he went to the campus. When he was told she wasn't there, he began shooting in classrooms.
Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan first confirmed Wednesday that Cervellon was the apparent target, but later in the day he said investigators believe another female administrator instead was targeted. He did not say why they believe the other school official was targeted.
Goh has been charged with seven counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder. He also faces a special circumstance charge that could bring the death penalty.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, school shooting, california news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)