Oakland shooting suspect, One Goh, was upset about tuition refund, administrator says
OAKLAND, Calif. (KABC) -- An administrator at a Korean Christian university in Oakland said the gunman who went on a deadly shooting rampage was upset about not getting all his tuition money back.
Ellen Cervellon, director of the nursing program at Oikos University, said One Goh, 43, dropped out of the school a few months ago, but he had returned several times asking for a tuition refund.
Authorities said Goh burst through the back entrance of a lecture hall on Monday and held a terrified school receptionist hostage. Within moments, he started randomly firing at students, killing seven people and wounding three.
Cervellon said she believes she was the alleged gunman's primary target after she rejected his repeated requests for a full tuition refund. Police have said Goh was seeking a female administrator when he went to the campus. When he was told she wasn't there, he began shooting in classrooms.
Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan first confirmed Wednesday that Cervellon was the apparent target, but later in the day he said investigators believe another female administrator instead was targeted. He did not say why they believe the other school official was targeted.
Goh has been charged with seven counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder. He also faces a special circumstance charge that could bring the death penalty.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, school shooting, california news
- Artesia hit-run accident leaves woman dead
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- Protests against Monsanto held around world
- Boy on bicycle killed by truck in Simi Valley
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley 28 min ago
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- Bynes alleges sexual assault by NYPD officer 47 min ago
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide