CA capitol flies flags at half-staff for Lake Elsinore solider
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- Flags at the state capitol flew at half-staff Thursday in honor of a Marine killed in Afghanistan.
Cpl. Michael J. Palacio, 23, of Lake Elsinore, died March 29. He was conducting combat operations in Helmand province. The circumstances of his death were not disclosed.
According to the Department of Defense, 1,801 U.S. service members have died in Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom since 2001. Just under 1,500 of those deaths are listed as "killed in action."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
u.s. troops, riverside county, california news
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court
- Metro Red, Purple lines now requires TAP card
- Journalist Michael Hastings dies in LA crash
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire
- Woman sought in Santa Ana Chase Bank robbery
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- Fed says it will maintain bond purchase pace
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- James Franco seeks $500K to bankroll movies 45 min ago
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)