CA capitol flies flags at half-staff for Lake Elsinore solider
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- Flags at the state capitol flew at half-staff Thursday in honor of a Marine killed in Afghanistan.
Cpl. Michael J. Palacio, 23, of Lake Elsinore, died March 29. He was conducting combat operations in Helmand province. The circumstances of his death were not disclosed.
According to the Department of Defense, 1,801 U.S. service members have died in Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom since 2001. Just under 1,500 of those deaths are listed as "killed in action."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
u.s. troops, riverside county, california news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- CA proposal: Kill switch for stolen phones?
10 min ago