Marine pleads not guilty to Brittany Killgore murder
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (KABC) -- A 45-year-old Camp Pendleton Marine has pleaded not guilty to murder in the death of another Marine's wife.
Staff Sgt. Louis Ray Perez has been a person of interest since the disappearance and murder of Brittany Killgore. Police believe he was the last person seen with the 22-year-old woman.
Perez, a 16-year Marine, was ordered held on $3 million bail.
Brittany Killgore disappeared four days after she filed for divorce from her husband, Lance Cpl. Cory Killgore, who was serving a tour of duty in Afghanistan. Her body was found naked and dumped on April 17 near Lake Skinner in Riverside County, about 25 miles from her apartment in Fallbrook.
Deputy District Attorney Patrick Espinoza said Brittany Killgore was supposed to go out in downtown San Diego on April 13 with Perez and another woman, but the other woman backed out. Later that night, Brittany Killgore sent a text message to a friend saying she was in distress and needed help, Espinoza said.
Perez told investigators that he dropped off Brittany Killgore downtown, but he was actually in Fallbrook, according to the prosecutor. Police searched his vehicle and found the victim's blood and a weapon.
Perez's roommate, 25-year-old Jessica Lynn Lopez, has also pleaded not guilty to a murder charge. A note she wrote before an apparent suicide attempt was what led investigators to Brittany Killgore's body.
missing person, body found, homicide investigation, california news
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis