Man forgotten in San Diego holding cell says he drank urine to survive
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (KABC) -- A forgotten detainee said he drank his own urine to survive while he was left in a federal holding cell in San Diego for five days without food or water.
Daniel Chong, 24, is still weak after his ordeal. He spent several days in intensive care, being treated for near kidney failure.
The University of California, San Diego student was swept up as one of nine suspects in an April 21 drug raid. He was told he would be released and not charged.
Instead, he was handcuffed in a tiny cell to await release. Drug Enforcement Administration spokeswoman Amy Roderick said he was accidentally left there.
"As soon as they said they were going to let me go, that door never opened, and I never got released. I did what I had to do to survive. I cycled through my own urine," said Chong.
Chong said he screamed and banged on the door, but nobody came even though he could hear footsteps of people going by. He was finally found on April 25.
"When they opened the door, one of them said, 'Here's the water you've been asking for,'" Chong said. "But I was pretty out of it at the time."
The DEA hasn't commented on Chong's claim that he was without basic necessities for days.
Chong's attorney said he plans to file a claim against the federal government, and if it is denied he will proceed with filing a federal lawsuit.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
san diego, california news
- Fast food workers protest, want $15 an hour
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- 2 deputies OK after crash on West 105 Freeway
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Idaho school bus crash: 1 child killed, 4 hurt 6 min ago
- Bratton picked as NYPD commissioner again
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Manhattan Toy Quixel baby rattles recalled 21 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- OTRC: Beyonce posts bikini pics, goes on vegan diet