Gov. Brown OKs hands free voice texting bill
SACRAMENTO (KABC) -- Many mobile devices now have speech recognition technology, allowing people to have a text message read to them or to send a text message by dictation. It's popularized by the iPhone 4S Siri feature.
It's so convenient, Siri users drive while holding their iPhone and dictating a text -- a big no-no. But people do it anyway.
Gov. Jerry Brown has signed a bill that now clarifies sending and receiving text messages through voice recognition is OK as long as it is hands free.
The auto industry really pushed for this because many vehicles will have that capability.
"We have two models with that functionality right now. With the 2013 models, and next year, we're looking to have every model having that capability," said Jared Ivey with Acura.
The CHP did had some input in the law. They recognize technology is changing but were adamant about keeping the devices hands-free.
Still, officers want Californians to recognize that not everyone can multitask.
"Some individuals can do this while driving a vehicle, but there's others that can't do anything but drive a vehicle and they need to focus on just driving," said Adrian Quintero of the CHP.
Tim Bloom was unclear about the law too and now understands what's allowed starting January 1 on his Android.
"I think it's a good idea to have a law that lets me with one button talk to whoever I need to talk to and get the message out," he said.
california news, nannette miranda
- Artesia hit-run accident leaves woman dead
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- Protests against Monsanto held around world
- Boy on bicycle killed by truck in Simi Valley
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- Bynes alleges sexual assault by NYPD officer
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide