Yosemite search continues for 6-year-old boy
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- The grim task of searching for a 6-year-old Orange County boy continued on Friday in Yosemite National Park.
Officials say Jacob Adams is still missing, but is presumed dead. He and his 10-year-old brother Andreas were caught in the strong current and swept away Wednesday afternoon while wading in the Merced River.
Andreas was pulled out about 150 yards downstream, but rescuers were unable to revive him. The boys' mother, Char, and older brother, Josh, suffered injuries trying to save them.
"To see the mother on the rocks, obviously injured from trying to rescue them, I can't imagine what she's going through," said Robert Finnegan, a witness.
The boys were part of a church camping trip with Calvary Chapel East Anaheim. It was part of an annual getaway that began Monday. According to the church, the Adams family decided to spend the day in Yosemite Valley, while most of the rest of the campers were at Bass Lake for the day.
Several members of the family, like many visitors, were wading in the river when the two boys were suddenly swept downstream.
In a statement, Pastor Bob Kopeny said, "The Adams family and Calvary Chapel East Anaheim have experienced a double tragic loss. We are asking for prayers for Jacob to be found soon so the family can have some measure of closure and focus on beginning to heal both physically and emotionally."
A fund has been set up for the Adams family. For more information, visit http://cc-ea.org/israel-tour/.
california news, eileen frere
- Oklahoma tornado: Recovery effort under way 13 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 8 min ago
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
6 min ago