DMV may issue licenses to young immigrants
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- Because he's undocumented, Jose Torres-Lopez cannot get a California driver's license. So he bikes 14 miles each way to the nearest community college for classes.
"It's a little bit tiresome," the student said. "Sometimes, you get to school and you're a little bit tired, so you don't really pay attention to teachers."
The DMV, though, could change that for Torres-Lopez and others in the state like him. The agency is looking at giving driver's licenses to roughly 400,000 young undocumented immigrants who've applied and are approved under President Barack Obama's deferred action program, where they can stay and work in the U.S. for two years without fear of deportation.
The question is whether that's an acceptable government document to grant the privilege of driving.
Assemblyman Gil Cedillo is rushing through a bill that tells DMV deferred action immigrants do qualify for driver's licenses. The Los Angeles Democrat says it will make roads safer if more people are tested.
"We're told these young people that they can study and get scholarships," Cedillo said. "The president has told them they can work. The State Department has told them they can travel abroad. We should allow them to drive."
Not everyone agrees.
"I'm getting phone calls from people who are trying to get here and get their citizenship legally, and they're saying, 'What about us? Why are people being moved to the front of the line and getting benefits we're trying to get?'" said Assemblyman Dan Logue (R-Chico).
Torres-Lopez, who hopes to transfer to the University of California at Davis soon, said he would love to not have to worry about how to get to school.
"It would be amazing," he said. "It would just be helpful, and beyond anything else that's happening, it would be a relief."
immigration, california news, nannette miranda
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 15 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet 6 min ago
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2