DMV may issue licenses to young immigrants
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- Because he's undocumented, Jose Torres-Lopez cannot get a California driver's license. So he bikes 14 miles each way to the nearest community college for classes.
"It's a little bit tiresome," the student said. "Sometimes, you get to school and you're a little bit tired, so you don't really pay attention to teachers."
The DMV, though, could change that for Torres-Lopez and others in the state like him. The agency is looking at giving driver's licenses to roughly 400,000 young undocumented immigrants who've applied and are approved under President Barack Obama's deferred action program, where they can stay and work in the U.S. for two years without fear of deportation.
The question is whether that's an acceptable government document to grant the privilege of driving.
Assemblyman Gil Cedillo is rushing through a bill that tells DMV deferred action immigrants do qualify for driver's licenses. The Los Angeles Democrat says it will make roads safer if more people are tested.
"We're told these young people that they can study and get scholarships," Cedillo said. "The president has told them they can work. The State Department has told them they can travel abroad. We should allow them to drive."
Not everyone agrees.
"I'm getting phone calls from people who are trying to get here and get their citizenship legally, and they're saying, 'What about us? Why are people being moved to the front of the line and getting benefits we're trying to get?'" said Assemblyman Dan Logue (R-Chico).
Torres-Lopez, who hopes to transfer to the University of California at Davis soon, said he would love to not have to worry about how to get to school.
"It would be amazing," he said. "It would just be helpful, and beyond anything else that's happening, it would be a relief."
immigration, california news, nannette miranda
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note 32 min ago
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California 31 min ago
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades 19 min ago
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Body found in Corona; investigation underway
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston: I have Lupus Myelitis
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
46 min ago