Prison riot breaks out in Folsom; 13 injured
FOLSOM, Calif. (KABC) -- Thirteen inmates were injured after a riot broke out at the California State Prison, Sacramento in Folsom.
The riot broke out Wednesday shortly after 11 a.m. inside a yard at the prison. One of the injured inmates was shot by a correctional officer, and at least 12 others were taken to the hospital after being stabbed or slashed during the riot.
Prison officials said 60 inmates were involved. There was no word on what sparked the riot.
According to a statement released by a prison representative, officers tried to quell the riot by firing non-lethal rounds. They also fired six shots from a rifle. The use of potentially deadly force is under investigation, which is standard procedure.
This marks the second known incident within a year at the maximum-security facility. In December, 11 inmates were hospitalized, including one shot by officers, after a riot that involved 150 inmates. One officer was injured during the confrontation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fight, california news
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists' 33 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
57 min ago