Prison riot breaks out in Folsom; 13 injured
FOLSOM, Calif. (KABC) -- Thirteen inmates were injured after a riot broke out at the California State Prison, Sacramento in Folsom.
The riot broke out Wednesday shortly after 11 a.m. inside a yard at the prison. One of the injured inmates was shot by a correctional officer, and at least 12 others were taken to the hospital after being stabbed or slashed during the riot.
Prison officials said 60 inmates were involved. There was no word on what sparked the riot.
According to a statement released by a prison representative, officers tried to quell the riot by firing non-lethal rounds. They also fired six shots from a rifle. The use of potentially deadly force is under investigation, which is standard procedure.
This marks the second known incident within a year at the maximum-security facility. In December, 11 inmates were hospitalized, including one shot by officers, after a riot that involved 150 inmates. One officer was injured during the confrontation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fight, california news
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 14 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 41 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 3 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 7 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 9 min ago
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
43 min ago