Prison riot breaks out in Folsom; 13 injured
FOLSOM, Calif. (KABC) -- Thirteen inmates were injured after a riot broke out at the California State Prison, Sacramento in Folsom.
The riot broke out Wednesday shortly after 11 a.m. inside a yard at the prison. One of the injured inmates was shot by a correctional officer, and at least 12 others were taken to the hospital after being stabbed or slashed during the riot.
Prison officials said 60 inmates were involved. There was no word on what sparked the riot.
According to a statement released by a prison representative, officers tried to quell the riot by firing non-lethal rounds. They also fired six shots from a rifle. The use of potentially deadly force is under investigation, which is standard procedure.
This marks the second known incident within a year at the maximum-security facility. In December, 11 inmates were hospitalized, including one shot by officers, after a riot that involved 150 inmates. One officer was injured during the confrontation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fight, california news
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final 42 min ago
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping 35 min ago
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved 43 min ago
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues 58 min ago
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew M. at 'Wolf' event