Prison riot breaks out in Folsom; 13 injured
FOLSOM, Calif. (KABC) -- Thirteen inmates were injured after a riot broke out at the California State Prison, Sacramento in Folsom.
The riot broke out Wednesday shortly after 11 a.m. inside a yard at the prison. One of the injured inmates was shot by a correctional officer, and at least 12 others were taken to the hospital after being stabbed or slashed during the riot.
Prison officials said 60 inmates were involved. There was no word on what sparked the riot.
According to a statement released by a prison representative, officers tried to quell the riot by firing non-lethal rounds. They also fired six shots from a rifle. The use of potentially deadly force is under investigation, which is standard procedure.
This marks the second known incident within a year at the maximum-security facility. In December, 11 inmates were hospitalized, including one shot by officers, after a riot that involved 150 inmates. One officer was injured during the confrontation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fight, california news
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault
- Tip led to ex-USC professor's Mexico arrest
- Fugitive child-abuse couple seen in Maywood
- Wrong-way driver charged with DUI in 14 pile-up
- West Hills murder suspect pleads not guilty
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices connoisseurs
- Michael Jackson chef describes confrontation
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)
- Beverly Hills 9OH2O luxury water put to test
28 min ago
- Silicon Beach Fest highlights LA's tech scene
5 min ago