Prison riot breaks out in Folsom; 13 injured
FOLSOM, Calif. (KABC) -- Thirteen inmates were injured after a riot broke out at the California State Prison, Sacramento in Folsom.
The riot broke out Wednesday shortly after 11 a.m. inside a yard at the prison. One of the injured inmates was shot by a correctional officer, and at least 12 others were taken to the hospital after being stabbed or slashed during the riot.
Prison officials said 60 inmates were involved. There was no word on what sparked the riot.
According to a statement released by a prison representative, officers tried to quell the riot by firing non-lethal rounds. They also fired six shots from a rifle. The use of potentially deadly force is under investigation, which is standard procedure.
This marks the second known incident within a year at the maximum-security facility. In December, 11 inmates were hospitalized, including one shot by officers, after a riot that involved 150 inmates. One officer was injured during the confrontation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fight, california news
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Castaic-area brush fire nears containment
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- OC church burglary suspect in custody
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez debuts 'Live It Up' video