Chula Vista teen dies in freak accident after mimicking 'pass out' YouTube video
CHULA VISTA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 15-year-old Chula Vista boy died in a freak accident after mimicking a YouTube video which caused him to pass out, and then fall onto a drinking glass which slashed his throat.
According to authorities, the boy was mimicking a YouTube video that demonstrates how to make yourself pass out through hyperventilation with two friends in his bedroom.
"The victim apparently did what was on the video, fell forward, and what it appears happened, landed on a drinking glass that was on the floor," said Chula Vista police Capt. Gary Wedge.
The glass shattered and slashed the teen's throat. The boy lost consciousness, then gained it back for a few minutes and ran down stairs for help, but then collapsed again.
His father held a towel over the wound until paramedics arrived at the home on the 1200 block of Old Janal Ranch Road shortly after 7 p.m. Tuesday.
The boy was rushed to Rady Children's Hospital in San Diego, but did not survive. The teen's name hasn't been released.
accident, california news
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back 36 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 25 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video