Chula Vista teen dies in freak accident after mimicking 'pass out' YouTube video
CHULA VISTA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 15-year-old Chula Vista boy died in a freak accident after mimicking a YouTube video which caused him to pass out, and then fall onto a drinking glass which slashed his throat.
According to authorities, the boy was mimicking a YouTube video that demonstrates how to make yourself pass out through hyperventilation with two friends in his bedroom.
"The victim apparently did what was on the video, fell forward, and what it appears happened, landed on a drinking glass that was on the floor," said Chula Vista police Capt. Gary Wedge.
The glass shattered and slashed the teen's throat. The boy lost consciousness, then gained it back for a few minutes and ran down stairs for help, but then collapsed again.
His father held a towel over the wound until paramedics arrived at the home on the 1200 block of Old Janal Ranch Road shortly after 7 p.m. Tuesday.
The boy was rushed to Rady Children's Hospital in San Diego, but did not survive. The teen's name hasn't been released.
accident, california news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 1 min ago
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks 25 min ago
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster
- 15-yr-old arrested after assaulting IE senior
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Telescope detects Earth-like planet
37 min ago