Border Patrol agent shoots, kills woman in CA
CHULA VISTA, Calif. (KABC) -- A border agent shot and killed a woman in suburban San Diego as he rode on the hood of her car after she ran into him, authorities said.
Chula Vista police Capt. Gary Wedge told The Associated Press that the agent fired after being driven several hundred yards on the hood of the car. The woman was later identified in a police statement as Valeria Alvarado.
A witness said he saw a man in civilian clothes on the hood of a black car aiming a gun at the windshield. The witness said the man pulled the trigger, and other plainclothes agents approached the car soon after.
The shooting occurred about five miles north of the Mexican border as agents were looking to serve a felony warrant in the area to someone other than Alvarado, Border Patrol Deputy Chief Rodney Scott told U-T San Diego.
Scott said the agent was stuck atop the car as Alvarado drove.
"Fearing for his life, he discharged his weapon to get the vehicle to stop," Scott said. No other agents fired.
Alvarado was declared dead at the scene, and the agent was taken to a hospital. The extent of his injuries remains unclear.
Family members said Alvarado grew up in Chula Vista where the shooting took place but had been living about five miles away in the Southcrest neighborhood of San Diego. They did not know why she was in her former hometown. Friends say Alvarado was a housewife and mother of five children ranging from ages 3 to 17 who went by the name Monique.
The person named in the warrant the agents were serving was not apprehended, officials said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, california news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 6 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 12 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken 46 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis