San Onofre nuclear plant restart plan faces long Nuclear Regulatory Commission review
SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, Calif. (KABC) -- A Nuclear Regulatory Commission administrator said Monday the proposed restart of the troubled San Onofre nuclear power plant in California could require a detailed review that might last months or even years.
Southern California Edison has proposal to restart the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station after two units were deactivated in January when a leak carrying radioactive water was detected in one of the power generators.
At a news conference Monday, Nuclear Regulatory Commission Regional Administrator Elmo Collins said it's not yet clear if the restart plan Southern California Edison submitted last week will require an amendment to the plant's operating license.
"The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has several months of work ahead of it before any decision can be made," said Collins. "The Nuclear Regulatory Commission will not grant approval for the resumption of power operation unless we have confidence that the facility can be operated safely."
The NRC plans to perform an independent inspection and analysis of Southern California Edison's information.
Such reviews can involve a thicket of hearings, appeals and other steps that can take as long as two years to complete. Collins says Edison contends such a review isn't needed. But he says the NRC considers it an "open question."
The controversial plan was submitted by Southern California Edison last week. It calls for one of the two twin reactors at the facility to be powered up at reduced power for a five-month trial period.
As of Monday there was no immediate timetable to restart the units.
The first public meeting was scheduled for Tuesday at 6 p.m. at the St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort in Dana Point. Area residents and community groups sit on the panel, as well as representatives from government agencies involved. Questions will be taken from the public.
california news, eileen frere
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack 57 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest 1 min ago
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer 53 min ago
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
42 min ago