Woman found guilty in nursing student Michelle Le's murder
OAKLAND, Calif. (KABC) -- A 28-year-old woman was convicted Monday of first-degree murder in the gruesome death of her former friend, San Francisco Bay area nursing student Michelle Le.
An Alameda County jury returned its verdict Monday against 28-year-old Giselle Esteban, who ttended high school with Le in San Diego.
Le, 26, went missing in May 2011 after she left her class at Kaiser Hospital Hayward to get something out of her car. Her decomposed remains were found in a canyon east of San Francisco Bay about five months later.
Prosecutors said Esteban stalked Le and murdered her in the hospital parking garage, then drove Le's car to a remote location in Sunol, where she dumped the body.
Esteban was reportedly angry with Le over her relationship with Scott Marasigan, who has a young daughter with Esteban. According to prosecutors, Esteban believed Le was having an affair with Marasigan. In the months leading up to Le's murder, Marasigan recorded multiple conversations with Esteban, including one in where she threatened Marasigan and Le, saying "You deserve to die for your lies, as does she."
Esteban had pleaded not guilty. She is scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 10.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
murder, court case, california news
- Nursing home shooting murder: Brother arrested 28 min ago
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients
- Holiday crackdown on jaywalking in downtown LA
- IE student arrested in school vandalism case 31 min ago
- Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- House GOP signal support for budget deal
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Photos: ABC7 viewers share holiday photos
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- OTRC: Jason Clarke in talks for 'Terminator' reboot 53 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
55 min ago