Gov. Brown continues Proposition 30 push as initiative shows strength in poll
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Gov. Jerry Brown has been campaigning non-stop to get Proposition 30 passed. Without it, he says schools will take a devastating hit. He took his message to the Los Angeles Town Hall.
Proposition 30 would increase the state sales tax by a quarter cent on the dollar for four years and increase taxes on earnings over $250,000 for seven years.
"If the voters say no, the $6 billion comes out," Brown said. "$500 million from universities, $500 million from community colleges, the rest from K-12, which in L.A. would be two or three weeks of school."
Education, according to the governor, would be critically wounded. The legislature put the $6 billion trigger in the budget. It gets pulled if Proposition 30 is defeated next week.
In Los Angeles, David Fleming, a former chairman of the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, says now is not the time for the state to increase taxes.
"They don't have to take the money from schools this is simply the ransom note they're handing us if you vote for 30, your for the schools. That is not the case," said Fleming.
The governor's office was told about the results of our exclusive Eyewitness News poll which shows Proposition 30 winning.
"From all I can tell I believe the majority is going to vote yes, next Tuesday," Brown said.
In Orange County, opponents of Proposition 30 said the last thing that should be done is taking more money from small businesses.
In the past 10 years, Californians have not been kind to ballot measures that raise taxes. They've said no to all but one of them, and the governor is trying to change that.
politics, john north
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed 41 min ago
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC 4 min ago
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside 33 min ago
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected 54 min ago
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat 41 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler