Parolee shoots four at Fresno processing plant, then self: 3 dead, 2 injured
FRESNO, Calif. (KABC) -- A gunman at a Fresno chicken processing plant opened fire at the business Tuesday, killing two people before taking his own life. The shooting took place at the Apple Valley Farms plant, a food service equipment company near central Fresno.
The suspected gunman was identified as 42-year-old Lawrence Jones, a parolee who had worked for the company for 14 months. Police do not know what prompted the attack.
Investigators say Jones got to work at 5 a.m. About three and a half hours later, he shot four victims with a .357-caliber handgun. He tried to shoot another person but was reportedly out of bullets. Police say Jones then walked outside, reloaded his gun and shot himself. He died later at a hospital.
There were about 65 people at the the workplace when the shooting began. About 30 employees witnessed the shootings, according to police.
Salvador Diaz, 32, was pronounced dead at the scene, and Manuel Verdin, 34, died later at a hospital. Arnulfo Conrriguez, 28, was in critical condition. Fatima Lopez was expected to be released later from a hospital, police said.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said in a Tuesday news conference: "We know that [Jones] has an extensive criminal history that dates way back into the '90s. To our knowledge, he is a discharged parolee. ... We have secured his residence here in Fresno. We are looking to ensure that there were no other victims."
KABC's sister station, KFSN, in Fresno reports that the suspect, Lawrence Jones, had four prior felony strike convictions. His last was in 2002 when he led police on a chase in a stolen car. He injured a family of four in that incident.
At that time, Jones was diagnosed with "intermittent explosive disorder" and was sentenced to 10 years and 8 months in prison. During sentencing, the judge struck two of his prior strikes, making him ineligible for a life sentence under California's Three Strikes law.
The Associated Press and KFSN contributed to this report.
shooting, murder, homicide investigation, california news
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 9 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
2 min ago