Sen. Lieu withdraws vehicle-fee increase proposal
TORRANCE, Calif. (KABC) -- State Senator Ted Lieu (D-Torrance) announced Monday he would not seek an increase in vehicle license fees. Lieu had publically floated the idea last week after it became clear Democrats had secured a "supermajority" in the California Legislature. Both houses now have enough Democrats to override Republican opposition and/or gubernatorial vetoes.
A group called Transportation California had asked Lieu to introduce legislation to triple the vehicle license fee drivers pay when registering cars.
The group wanted it to be a constitutional amendment so it the revenue would be dedicated only to roads, which meant voters would still have to approve it.
The proposed formula was 1.35 percent of the value of the vehicle. It could raise as much as $4 billion a year for roads and public transit, both of which have been underfunded for years because of the budget crisis.
"A proposal was being developed to place on the 2014 ballot a proposition to essentially revert the Vehicle License Fee to its prior rate of 2 percent, which was the rate from 1948 to 2004, to provide a stable funding source for transportation and infrastructure," said Lieu.
"I have listened carefully to those who have contacted my office or me. Additionally, more stakeholders weighed in on this important issue. As a result, I will not be introducing the proposal," said Lieu. "Instead, I will work with transportation stakeholders and the public next year on alternative ways to mitigate the transportation infrastructure problem."
auto news, california news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean 31 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere