CBP officers seize $7 million of narcotics along border
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (KABC) -- US Customs and Border Protection officers confiscated 1,109 pounds of narcotics along the California-Mexico border over the weekend.
Agents foiled 25 separate smuggling attempts and kept 1,109 pounds of marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine, and heroin from hitting the streets. The drugs were intercepted along six different land ports of entry and had a street value of more than $7 million.
CPB officers say the drugs were hidden in gas tanks, bumpers, quarter panels, and tires.
The arrests and confiscations included:
- Officers arrested a 38-year-old male Mexican citizen at the San Ysidro port of entry around 2 p.m. Friday. The suspect was caught trying to smuggle 82 pounds of cocaine in a white Nissan Micra. The cocaine had a street value of $902,000.
- A 20-year-old male US citizen was arrested Friday at the Otay Mesa passenger port of entry. He was found trying to smuggle 140 pounds of marijuana by concealing the drugs in the tires of his 2011 Chevrolet Silverado. The marijuana had a street value of $210,000.
- Officers arrested a 31-year-old Mexican citizen and U.S. legal resident Saturday after officers found 8 pounds of methamphetamine in a hidden compartment in her 2002 Ford Focus. She was arrested at the Calexico downtown port of entry. The methamphetamine had an estimated street value of $120,000.
- A 19-year-old U.S. citizen was arrested Sunday at the Calexico downtown port of entry. Three pounds of heroin, with a street value of $36,000, were found strapped to the woman's calves.
- Officers arrested an 18-year-old man of Yuma, Arizona at the Andrade port of entry Sunday after he was caught trying to smuggle 38 pounds of cocaine in the quarter panels of his 2005 Toyota Scion. The cocaine had an estimated street value of approximately $456,000.
The five drivers arrested for attempting to smuggle narcotics in their vehicles were taken to local jails where they await arraignment. The narcotics and vehicles are now in the possession of US Customs and Border Protection agents.
drug war, arrest, california, mexico, california news
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario 13 min ago
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 39 min ago
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
50 min ago