UC Santa Barbara student killed in 2-story fall
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (KABC) -- A University of California, Santa Barbara student was killed and a young man was hospitalized after they fell from a second-story apartment building.
Officials say 22-year-old Melissa Portillo, who is from Los Angeles, was celebrating her birthday early Thursday morning and was out on the balcony with 22-year-old Michael Kuster when they both fell.
Investigators say Portillo and Kuster were kissing against the railing when they fell.
"That was the first thing I noticed was a pool of blood and I saw them carrying the girl out on a stretcher I didn't recognize who she was and didn't seem like she lived here," said neighbor Daniel Ahumada.
Kuster is from the Netherlands and is here visiting friends. He was transported to an area hospital, where he was in stable condition and later released.
Officials say alcohol may have been a factor in the fall. They do not suspect foul play. Neither one lived at the apartment complex.
accident, california news
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees