UC Santa Barbara student killed in 2-story fall
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (KABC) -- A University of California, Santa Barbara student was killed and a young man was hospitalized after they fell from a second-story apartment building.
Officials say 22-year-old Melissa Portillo, who is from Los Angeles, was celebrating her birthday early Thursday morning and was out on the balcony with 22-year-old Michael Kuster when they both fell.
Investigators say Portillo and Kuster were kissing against the railing when they fell.
"That was the first thing I noticed was a pool of blood and I saw them carrying the girl out on a stretcher I didn't recognize who she was and didn't seem like she lived here," said neighbor Daniel Ahumada.
Kuster is from the Netherlands and is here visiting friends. He was transported to an area hospital, where he was in stable condition and later released.
Officials say alcohol may have been a factor in the fall. They do not suspect foul play. Neither one lived at the apartment complex.
accident, california news
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought 5 min ago
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Driver injured in South Los Angeles DUI crash 1 min ago
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres 4 min ago
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Tyler The Creator arrested at SXSW festival 38 min ago
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report