Powerball coming to California; ticket sales begin in April
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- The California Lottery Commission unanimously voted on Thursday to adopt the multi-state Powerball mega-jackpot lottery.
The first California ticket sales will begin April 8, 2013, and the first drawing will be two days later on April 10. Unlike other lotteries, the Powerball jackpot begins at $40 million and increases by at least $10 million every roll.
"We have to continually offer our loyal players a variety of entertaining lottery games, and we firmly believe that Powerball is a right fit for the California Lottery," Lottery Director Robert T. O'Neill said in a statement.
O'Neill added that Powerball is expected to bring up to $100 million more to supplement public education funding.
The $2 Powerball is played like the Mega Millions lottery. Players choose five numbers from 1 to 59 and one red Powerball number from 1 to 35. Players can choose their own numbers or do a Quick Pick. Draws are held every Wednesday and Saturday at 7:59 p.m. PT.
lottery, california news
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51 20 min ago
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman 14 min ago
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault 58 min ago
- Tip led to ex-USC professor's Mexico arrest 12 min ago
- Wrong-way driver charged with DUI in 14 pile-up
- West Hills murder suspect pleads not guilty 26 min ago
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices connoisseurs 57 min ago
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices...
57 min ago