Powerball coming to California; ticket sales begin in April
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KABC) -- The California Lottery Commission unanimously voted on Thursday to adopt the multi-state Powerball mega-jackpot lottery.
The first California ticket sales will begin April 8, 2013, and the first drawing will be two days later on April 10. Unlike other lotteries, the Powerball jackpot begins at $40 million and increases by at least $10 million every roll.
"We have to continually offer our loyal players a variety of entertaining lottery games, and we firmly believe that Powerball is a right fit for the California Lottery," Lottery Director Robert T. O'Neill said in a statement.
O'Neill added that Powerball is expected to bring up to $100 million more to supplement public education funding.
The $2 Powerball is played like the Mega Millions lottery. Players choose five numbers from 1 to 59 and one red Powerball number from 1 to 35. Players can choose their own numbers or do a Quick Pick. Draws are held every Wednesday and Saturday at 7:59 p.m. PT.
lottery, california news
- CO school shooting suspect dead, says sheriff 2 min ago
- Car bomb plot thwarted at Kansas airport 40 min ago
- Body found near East Los Angeles College
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park
- SoCal boy's cancer fight inspires
- OC homicide: Roommate sought for questioning 52 min ago
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- 2nd woman in purported mercy killings ID'd
- Mega Millions jackpot rockets to $425 million
- Mom with cancer inspires daughter's friend
- Bruno Mars named Billboard's 2013 top artist
- Beyonce releases surprise album on iTunes
- OTRC: Bradley Cooper talks 'American Hustle'