100+ guns, 117 pounds of pot found hidden in Northern California cave
GERBERVILLE, Calif. (KABC) -- More than 100 guns were found in a cave on a man's property near Gerberville in Northern California Tuesday. A large stash of marijuana was also found in the cave.
The Humboldt County Sheriff's Department said Wednesday 111 firearms had been discovered during a search Tuesday. At least 20 of them were stolen, according to the department. Ammunition, body armor and $12,000 in cash were also in the cave, along with 117 pounds of dried marijuana.
The entrance to the cave was concealed by brush. Sheriff's investigators think the weapons and drugs were meant for the black market.
The resident of the 55-acre property, Ryan Floyd, was arrested on a probation violation from earlier gun and marijuana charges. A search warrant for the property was then obtained. Authorities were seeking Floyd in connection to an abandoned stolen truck on Feb. 2 after a deputy tried to pull it over.
An initial search turned up a handgun, 45 pounds of marijuana and enough empty gun cases that investigators decided to go back for a more thorough search, which led them to the cave stash. They also recovered jewelry, tractors and other items that Humboldt residents have reported as stolen.
Humboldt County prosecutors have charged Floyd, 30, with seven felony drug and weapons charges, although Knight said more charges are pending. He remains jailed on $400,000 bail.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
marijuana, northern california, california news
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 41 min ago
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena 57 min ago
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate
- Longest Rose Parade float goes for test drive
51 min ago