California unemployment rate drops to 9.6 percent
SACRAMENTO (KABC) -- California added 293,800 jobs in the past 12 months, notching a 2.1-percent gain and dropping the state unemployment rate to 9.6 percent in February. The 9.6 rate of unemployment is the state's lowest since December 2008.
California's 2.1-percent gain outpaces the national job growth rate of 1.5 percent.
The California Employment Development Department announced the new numbers Friday. The unemployment fell from 9.8 percent in January, after dropping below double digits this past winter.
Technology, tourism and construction sectors led the hiring surge, areas of traditional strength in California. There were 5,700 construction jobs added from January to February, signaling a renewed strength in the state housing market.
The Bay Area led the state with above-average gains, with L.A. County, Orange County and the Inland Empire experiencing year-over-year gains.
Overall, the department reported nonfarm jobs increased by 41,200 during February, bringing the state total to 14.6 million. That's compared to only 4,200 jobs gained in January.
The survey found jobs increased in the construction, financial services and leisure and hospitality sectors. But manufacturing, transportation and health services slipped over the previous month.
The number of people who are actively searching for work and considered unemployed in California fell below 1.8 million in February for the first time since January 2009. That's down from 2 million last February.
According to preliminary unadjusted rates, Colusa County has the state's highest unemployment rate at 25.9 percent. Marin County had the lowest unemployment rate in February at 5.4 percent.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
jobs, unemployment, economy, california news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- 15-yr-old arrested after assaulting IE senior 16 min ago
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever 50 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour