California unemployment rate drops to 9.6 percent
SACRAMENTO (KABC) -- California added 293,800 jobs in the past 12 months, notching a 2.1-percent gain and dropping the state unemployment rate to 9.6 percent in February. The 9.6 rate of unemployment is the state's lowest since December 2008.
California's 2.1-percent gain outpaces the national job growth rate of 1.5 percent.
The California Employment Development Department announced the new numbers Friday. The unemployment fell from 9.8 percent in January, after dropping below double digits this past winter.
Technology, tourism and construction sectors led the hiring surge, areas of traditional strength in California. There were 5,700 construction jobs added from January to February, signaling a renewed strength in the state housing market.
The Bay Area led the state with above-average gains, with L.A. County, Orange County and the Inland Empire experiencing year-over-year gains.
Overall, the department reported nonfarm jobs increased by 41,200 during February, bringing the state total to 14.6 million. That's compared to only 4,200 jobs gained in January.
The survey found jobs increased in the construction, financial services and leisure and hospitality sectors. But manufacturing, transportation and health services slipped over the previous month.
The number of people who are actively searching for work and considered unemployed in California fell below 1.8 million in February for the first time since January 2009. That's down from 2 million last February.
According to preliminary unadjusted rates, Colusa County has the state's highest unemployment rate at 25.9 percent. Marin County had the lowest unemployment rate in February at 5.4 percent.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
jobs, unemployment, economy, california news
- Fast food workers protest, want $15 an hour
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- 2 deputies OK after crash on West 105 Freeway
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Bratton picked as NYPD commissioner again
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- OTRC: Beyonce posts bikini pics, goes on vegan diet
- Holiday headaches triggers to watch out for
35 min ago