Northern California girl, 8, found stabbed to death; manhunt under way
VALLEY SPRINGS, Calif. (KABC) -- An 8-year-old girl was found stabbed to death in her bed in Northern California, and the hunt is on for her killer.
Law enforcement in the town of Valley Springs are warning residents that the man they're searching for is considered armed and dangerous. They encouraged residents to keep their doors locked.
Local TV station KCRA says the victim's 12-year-old brother encountered the intruder in his home at around noon Saturday and saw the man run away.
The boy went to check on his sister, Leila Fowler, and found she had been stabbed. The girl was later pronounced dead at a hospital.
Initially Leila was reported as being 9-years-old, but Coroner Kevin Raggio said Sunday that she would have turned 9 in June.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
stabbing, california news
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists'
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants