Valley Springs mourns murder of 8-year-old girl; search continues for killer
VALLEY SPRINGS, Calif. (KABC) -- Under heavy law enforcement presence, it was an emotional first day back to school at Jenny Lind Elementary in Valley Springs. Parents, classmates and teachers are dealing with the murder of 8-year-old Leila Fowler, who apparently was stabbed to death in her home by an intruder.
Ribbons were tied around the campus, and students wrote their own messages of goodbye to the little girl known for her big smile.
"A lot of people are hurting right now. But the beauty of being here together is that they're able to share and communicate and try to heal as much as possible," said Calaveras Unified Superintendent Mark Campbell.
With the killer still on the loose, deputies are following up on every lead. Authorities say there is no arrest or even a motive.
The girl's death has shaken the normally quiet rural California community, where everyone knows each other and residents don't lock their doors -- until now.
"I make sure I lock my doors and lock my windows and everything like that, which I never really had to do," said Carmen Trammel of Valley Springs.
Fowler's murder has changed the seemingly innocent town forever. The school is trying to help the community get past this tragedy, with counselors and therapy dogs on hand.
The suspect was only described as a muscular white or Latino man.
stabbing, murder, california news, nannette miranda
- Covina shooting: Adult, 4-year-old girl hurt
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident 3 min ago
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- World Cup: US to play Ghana, Portugal, Germany
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl
- Bob Dylan's guitar sells for nearly $1M 33 min ago
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson talks baby names (Video)