Brother arrested in Northern California girl's fatal stabbing
VALLEY SPRINGS, CALAVERAS COUNTY (KABC) -- The 12-year-old brother of an 8-year-old girl who was mysteriously stabbed to death in Northern California in late April has been arrested in connection with her killing, authorities said. He will be charged with homicide.
The boy had told investigators that he came across an intruder in their Valley Springs home around noon April 27. He described him as a man being tall with long, gray hair. The boy said he went to check on his sister, Leila Fowler, and found she had been stabbed. The girl was later pronounced dead at a hospital.
Law enforcement warned residents of the quiet town just east of Stockton to keep their doors locked as they searched for a suspect. Authorities conducted door-to-door searches and divers also searched two nearby reservoirs.
A neighbor who told detectives she saw a man run away from the home later recanted her statement.
As part of the investigation, authorities seized knives from the home Leila shared with her father, stepmother and siblings to determine if one could have inflicted the fatal wounds.
No further details were released on how investigators determined that the boy was behind the stabbing.
A motive was not immediately known.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
stabbing, murder, california news
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood 19 min ago
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)