FRESNO, Calif. -- Fresno officials plan to raze three homeless encampments that they say have become magnets for crime.
City Manager Bruce Rudd told the Fresno Bee on Monday that the camps would be razed over the next six weeks. Agencies in the area would help residents find housing and other services.
City officials said the encampments have attracted drug dealers, gang members and pimps. Earlier this month, a 20-year-old man was shot and killed in one of the camps and another man was wounded. Two people have been arrested in the shooting.
Police say they have made more than 80 felony arrests at that same camp over the past three weeks.
Fresno has been sued several times by homeless advocates, who have alleged the city destroyed the personal property of homeless residents after razing the camps.
california news
- Home-invasion robbers strike 2 Orange homes 16 min ago
- Councilman Huizar accused of sexual harassment
- Topanga mall 'up-skirt' photos: Man wanted
- Son with autism leads way out of burning house
- Clerk gunned down outside Victorville AM/PM
- 20K-acre Silver Fire sees full containment
- LAFD captain collapses, dies while on duty
- Amber Alert case: Girl's father speaks out
- 'Whitey' Bulger pleased with guilty verdict
- abcnews: Did Weiner spill beans on Hillary's 2016 run? 14 min ago
- Fan, 29, dies in fall at Atlanta stadium 10 min ago
- Lesser-known symptoms of early heart attack
- Racial claims dismissed in Paula Deen lawsuit
- OTRC: Lady Gaga's new single 'Applause' - listen
3.

- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
1 min ago
-
Most Popular
-
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos
- abc7.com home
- Site Map
- RSS
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help
- ABC.com
- ABCNews.com
- Privacy Policy
- Interest-Based Ads
- Safety Information for this site
- Terms of Use
- Copyright ©2013 ABC Inc., KABC-TV/DT Los Angeles, CA. All Rights Reserved.




