San Diego mayor wants suit moved to neighboring county
SAN DIEGO (KABC) -- San Diego's embattled mayor is seeking to have his sexual harassment lawsuit moved to Imperial County, claiming it would be difficult to find an impartial jury in San Diego County, his lawyer said Wednesday.
Mayor Bob Filner is undergoing a two-week therapy program after 13 women have come forward to accuse him of sexual harassment. Irene McCormack Jackson, Filner's former communications director, has filed a lawsuit against the mayor and the city claiming Filner made unwanted sexual advances.
Jackson's attorney, Gloria Allred, said she would opposed the motion at a September 16 hearing. Allred said a Friday deposition would be postponed.
A psychologist treating Filner said the mayor would not be available for comment during his two-week therapy program. Filner's treatment began Monday.
Filner's attorney could not be reached for comment Wednesday.
In her lawsuit, Jackson alleges Filner asked her to work without panties, demanded kisses, told her he wanted to see her naked, and dragged her in a headlock while whispering in her ear.
Last week the mayor's attorney filed a letter claiming Filner didn't receive required sexual harassment training from the city. The attorney claims the trainer for the city unilaterally canceled and never rescheduled the mayor's training, therefore the city should pay for the mayor's defense.
But the city's former chief operating officer says it was Filner's office, not the trainer, who canceled sessions multiple times.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
san diego, legal, california news
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker 23 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church 18 min ago
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC 8 min ago
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis